Looking Back Again
Sat. 29 Jan 2011. 12:43 pm
Looking back at the post on 6 Sep 2010 where Mary Ann and I deduced information about Flavia and her mother. I wanted to see how close we were in our deductions based on information found after the original post. The deductions are marked with an asterisk.
- Mary Octavie UNKNOWN born (1863)
- CORRECT. But her actual name is Octavie Marie Poelman.
- Mary Octavie UNKNOWN marries H. POELMAN*
- WRONG. Flavia’s mother’s full maiden name is Octavie Marie Poelman. It is not established who H. Poelman is but I assume that he maybe Flavia’s uncle, Emiel Poelman.
- Flavie POELMAN born (1893)
- CORRECT. But her full name is Flavia Maria Poelman.
- Jules GOENS comes to America (1913)
- CORRECT. But his full name is Julius Constantinus Goens.
- Flavie POELMAN and Mary Octavie POELMAN come to America (1914)
- Mary Octavie UNKNOWN divorces H. POELMAN*
- WRONG. Mary Octavie was not married to an H. Poelman.
- Mary Octavie [Unknown] POELMAN marries Jules GOENS*
- CORRECT. But they were married in Belgium on 12 Mar 1904 when Flavia was 11 years old – before Flavia and her mother came to America in 1914.
- Flavie POELMAN adopts the surname GOENS*
- CORRECT. But Flavia more likely “assumed” the surname Goens rather than adopted the name legally.
- Flavie [Poelman] GOENS marries Odilon DELCOURT (1919)
- Mary Octavie [Unknown][Poelman] GOENS dies in California (1955)
- CORRECT. But the correct full name is Octavie Marie [Poelman] Goens.
So overall I’d say we were about 50-50 on the deduced items, sort of close on people’s names and still haven’t figured out who H. Poelman really is.