Week of 9/19/2010 Review
Fri. 24 Sep 2010. 1:28 pm
What did we find out last week?
- We found that Gentil Gernaey came to America in 1915 just as the trenches of the Western Front in Flanders for WWI was being gassed by the Germans.
- We found that Gentil married again in 1922 to a Joannam Brugghe after his marriage to Odilon’s first wife Bertha.
- We saw that both Gentil (in Chicago) and Odilon (in Detroit) had registered for the draft as of 5 June 1917.
- We learned that Belgium is a segregated mixture of Dutch, French and German speaking peoples.
What’s planned for next week?
- Learning more about Belgium. The goal here is to find out why Odlion and Flavie were born in Ghent.
- Continue researching the Gurnaey surname.
- Cleaning-up and adding to the genealogy data for the secure website.
- Added a copy of the Ellis Island manifest for the SS Rotterdam of 28 May 1915 for Gentil Gernaey.
- Added two new pages, Translations and Variations, to the blog site.
- Revised the Ellis Island Manifest pages’ to one page per date listed on the manifest.
- Launched The Side Isle secure website.
- Added Requests to the Weekly Review posts.
- Re-arranged some of the right side and bottom widgets.
- Ended the Donation Pledge Drive at $400.
- We are up to 469 visitor hits from last week’s 381 hits.
A special thanks to the following people for providing links, information, comments, suggestions and other support for this blog site during the last week.
- Craig Gurnaey
- Mary Ann Cuccurello
- Steph Vogel
- Kris Newport
- Karen Newport
I would like to make the following special requests for your help.
- If someone could find any information about Odilon’s WWI records, commendations or photographs. Maybe even take a digital photograph of the one picture where he is standing there in his uniform.
- Any vintage photographs of the Marocco family; particularly when Joseph or Clelia were in their 20’s.